Green cleaning basically refers to the use of clean methods and products with environmentally friendly ingredients and procedures whose main aim is to preserve human health and environmental quality. How we deal with our environment matters a lot. The ‘environment’ can mean very many things and among its vast definitions, it includes our surroundings. Where you are based or most frequently located. It could be at home, school or work.
Clutter is the mind’s enemy. This is because in such an environment you can barely concentrate or think straight with all the mess around you. This affects your productivity and work efficiency. To make this even more practical to comprehend, I will use this common example. I suppose some of you have those days where you get home exhausted after an activity filled day.
The most frequent result will be a quick shower, place your clothes, luggage or other goods anywhere on thought that you will sort it out later; and get into bed to rest. I know I have days like those. The problem usually is, when I get up in the morning and look at the state of my surrounding, it drives me crazy. I tend to feel congested in the space, like the air had been sucked into the mess that had been created. So, I get up and quickly clean up to regain the peace and clarity of mind as well as ignite it into great thinking capacity for the day.
Similarly, your surroundings, homestead, road, class and anything in the great outdoors deserves such treatment. The joy and relief we feel when we have finished doing or cleaning something is massive. How much more will people in your village, community, and nation or globally respond to a clean and pure environment?
There are numerous benefits to a clean and pure environment not only for the surrounding but also for human health. Among the many, below are five of those benefits. I challenge each one of you who is reading this article to comment below on other benefits you think we can derive from a clean and healthy environment. Let us raise awareness on the importance of the environment and have discussions on how best we can achieve this.
Benefits of green cleaning
- A healthy mind, mindset or behavior as has been featured above. You become psychologically comfortable.
- To set precedence for future generations. It is possible to create a culture that will pay attention to the environment and one which would rub off on future generations since it would direct them to follow the examples that have been set. This ensures continuity in environmental protection.
- Preservation of natural resources and its use. This prevents natural resources from being finite.
- A happy people, community or nation. A clean environment brings people together. It enhances productivity and efficiency for all people. They become physically comfortable.
- Reduction of health risks. This is an aspect of human health.
Evo Morales once said:
“Sooner or later, we will have to recognize that the Earth has rights, too, to live without pollution. What mankind must know is that human beings cannot live without Mother Earth, but the planet can leave without humans”.
Sounds harsh you might think, but it is the truth of the matter. We should realize that the environment affects all aspects of our lives and we should strive to do our best to protect and preserve it.
About the Author
Jane Gichuru is a lawyer and a trainee advocate. She is passionate about the environment and continuous personal development. She is also a life enthusiast, traveller and blogger always looking at the bright side of life.